Saturday, August 28, 2010

Recording Your Ideas

We're not always at our computer typing away, so how can a person record their ideas or work about their stories when away from their computer?

Notebooks
Some people carry 8.5" x 11" notebooks or steno (shorthand) pads. The notebook not only contains the story, but notes on plot and characters.  It's an inexpensive option, but it's not always convenient to carry around a notebook.

Index Cards
Other people use index cards.  They're like the notebook but more portable, though you need to keep the cards in order.  You can have different cards for plot, characters, etc.  If you rewrite or change something then you can just get ride of the old card.  It has the main advantage of writing the summary of a scene on a card and then being able to reorganize them at will.

Phone
My phone has a voice record feature that I sometimes use to record things when I can't write it down.

iPad
The iPad is a good alternative to a notebook.  I can't type as fast as on a computer, but it's faster than handwriting and I don't need to type in my hand written notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment